4–5 cups spring water
1 to 2 teaspoon organic turmeric powder (orange in colour)
2 oz of bourbon
1/4 cups or more lemon juice
Lemon Slices (save for garnish)
2 –3 tablespoon maple syrup or raw honey (adjust to desired sweetness)
Pinch of black pepper to activate curcumin in turmeric
Rub a pinch of homemade spiced seasoning: smoked paprika, kosher salt, ground black pepper, black salt, dried oregano, cayenne peppers)
Fresh Mint leaves to serve
1. Bring water to a light boil, add in your spices and boil for a minute, then reduce and simmer turmeric for 10 minutes. (Simmering will extract the beneficial compounds from the turmeric.)
2. Remove from the stove and let it cool a bit. Then strain the liquid to get rid of excess root or spice powder. Strain with a mesh strainer or cloth. Pour the rest of the liquid into a pitcher along with your lemon juice, extracts, and sweetener of choice. Mix again so that the honey, bourbon and lemon juice are combined with the turmeric brew.
3. Store in the fridge for 3-4 hours, try not to add water as it dilutes the mixture.
4. Roll your lemon slices in homemade spice blend and make sure to add a teaspoon to the bottom of your glass.
5. Add your iced cold lemonade to your glass, include your spice rubbed lemon slice for garnish and serve with fresh mint leaves.
Enjoy your spiked and spiced turmeric lemonade!